Fred Singer, professor emeritus at U Virginia, explains how being skeptical about global warming is basic science. Being a scientist is being skeptical. Don't confuse the skeptics who are looking at the data with the "deniers" who have made up their minds. The deniers are like the true believers - "I don't need any facts. I know the truth."
Singer describes some of the most-commen denier claims, including misunderstanding the second law of thermodynamics. From the true believers he gives just these five quotes.
- "The data doesn't matter. We're not basing our recommendations on the data. We're basing them on the climate models." -Prof. Chris Folland, Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research
- "The models are convenient fictions that provide something very useful." -Dr David Frame, Climate modeler, Oxford University
- "It doesn't matter what is true, it only matters what people believe is true." -Paul Watson, Co-founder of Greenpeace
- "Unless we announce disasters no one will listen." -Sir John Houghton, First chairman of the IPCC
- "No matter if the science of global warming is all phony ... climate change provides the greatest opportunity to bring about justice and equality in the world." -Christine Stewart, former Canadian Minister of the Environment.